Sunday, May 08, 2005

Yellow Roses

I called my mom at home this morning and got the answering machine. I knew it. I knew she wasn't at home on Mother's day, she never is. She's always at work.

20 minutes later she calls me back. I ask if she got her flowers yet. She acts surprised and says no. Probably because I had them delivered to her house, not work. What was I thinking? I got her yellow roses for two reasons. One is that I think the meaning of yellow roses is to say you miss someone. And that I totally do. I miss my mom alot. I'm in Texas and she is in Kentucky. The second reason is the whole yellow rose of Texas thing, and I try to take every opportunity I can to remind her about Texas.

Texas will always be home for my Mother. She is very very homesick. Even though she has been living in Kentucky for 16 years, she still claims Texas as home. The only reason she is still in Kentucky is that she married a man from there. He's an ok guy, except for the fact he took my mom away from me.

She had bad news for me today though. My step dad, her hubby of 16 years has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. I don't know if I spelled it right. I don't care. He has been losing it for a few years, and its been getting harder and harder on my mom. He is 65. He's also been threatening suicide for a few years as well. WTF? This makes me so mad. I mean no one should have to put up with their spouse making such threats, but to do that to MY mom. Suicide already left her a widow at the tender age of 17. I don't think she ever got over that completely. She was the one that found my dad, not quite dead yet. Gruesome. And then to have this guy say such crap!

I'm furious with him. I hate when people use the threat of suicide, its the ultimate in emotional blackmail. The worst part is that a part of me hopes he does it and gets it over with. Then I can have my mom back. I know thats cruel and selfish, but deep down thats how I feel. I'm a terrible person for feeling that way. I want my mom back here. I know I should be patient and cut him some slack. He's not in his right mind. I do care about him, but I care about my mom more.

I'm furious with his four adult sons, who don't help out at all. Only one technically knows about the diagnosis, but he's been acting off for some time now. How could the other three not know?
I can just see how this is going to play out. My mom is going to wear herself out tryng to work full time and take care of him. I have never talked to his son's. Maybe now is a damn good time. I refuse to sit back and watch my mom suffer.

Maybe I will be surprised and they will step up and help their own father. I won't hold my breath.